welcome to the shithole, neighbor! [remy]

Lincoln Weiss

Female Age : 26
    Daemon Name : Cedar
    Eilemaiden : Earalas

welcome to the shithole, neighbor! [remy]

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:39 pm

Lincoln was sleeping on her couch in the middle of the day when she was suddenly awoken by the sounds of her neighbors next door. There was some thumping around and muffled voices floating in through the paper-thin walls, indicating that someone was moving into the once-vacant apartment. Lincoln groaned to herself. She had been enjoying the quietness of not having anyone live next to her for the past month.

Oh well. She couldn't really expect much better in this shithole of an apartment. Hopefully these new neighbors wouldn't be amateur musicians like the last ones had been.

She shoved her cat off her chest and got up, kicking an empty pizza box out of her way as she wandered into the kitchen area. She thought of it as the "kitchen area" instead of just the "kitchen" because it wasn't actually a separate room, just an area in the living room with a sink, stove, fridge and tile floor. She grabbed a carton of milk from the fridge and drank directly from it.

Why don't we go check out the new neighbors? Cedar suggested.

Why not? Linc agreed. She didn't have anything else to do today, since it was thankfully her day off. Maybe the new neighbors would actually be cool. She went and pulled on some pants before meandering out into the hallway.

Without knocking, she opened the door to the neighboring apartment and walked right in. "Hey," she greeted casually, as if she had been invited. New Neighbor was a girl, and not the type one usually saw living in this building. She was very pretty, and wore fashionable, expensive-looking clothes. "I live next door so I thought I'd stop by and say hi. I'm Lincoln and this is Cedar. What's up?"
    Remy Monroe

Female Age : 27
    Daemon Name : Vex

Re: welcome to the shithole, neighbor! [remy]

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Remy was pulling something out of a box when she heard the door behind her swing open. Thinking it was Lysander she was about to ask him if he'd seen her last box of shoes when she heard a female voice.

Neighbor Girl wrote:"Hey. I live next door so I thought I'd stop by and say hi. I'm Lincoln and this is Cedar. What's up?"

"Uh, hey," Remy replied, wiping some sweat off her forehead and wondering why the hell someone would just walk into her house like that. The door had been shut, right? She looked Lincoln up and down quickly, unable to stop herself. "I'm Remy," she told her, reaching out to offer her hand to Lincoln. She shook it firmly, her wrist bent just so. "That's Vex," she added as he stuck his little quolly head out from behind a different box.

"Well look at that," Remy noted, "they could be twins." Their daemons looked incredibly similar, save for the fact that Cedar had stripes while Vex had spots. She wondered what that meant about Lincoln.
    Lincoln Weiss

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:11 pm

"Huh. Oh yeah," Linc replied, looking at Cedar and Vex, who were sniffing each other's noses. "Maybe that means we have something in common." She looked around Remy's apartment, identical to hers except much, much cleaner and less furnished. Most of Remy's boxes looked like they were full of clothes and shoes. Weird. "So, how're you liking the place?" There was a hint of irony in her voice, as no one really liked this place.
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Remy lifted her eyebrows as if to say, You can't be serious, even though she knew by Lincoln's tone that she wasn't. "It's just grand," she said with a laugh. She tried to push the hollowness out of her voice, but fell flat.

"Have you lived here long?" she asked, picking up a box of useless things she only took on principle and shoving them into the corner. She needed to keep moving to save her mind from wandering places she didn't want it.
    Lincoln Weiss

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:36 pm

"Like half a year," Linc replied with a shrug. "I've moved around a lot since school." She'd left her parents to live with some friends, and when that didn't work out she moved in with her sister, and when that was a fucking disaster she just started finding month-to-month leases in cheap-o places like this. "It's not that bad here. I mean, yeah, it's a shithole, but you get used to it."

After that uplifting comment, she looked around and Remy's boxes, wondering if she should offer to help or something. But instead she noticed that one had a stack of photographs in it. "Hey! You have pictures!" she exclaimed. Pictures (and cameras, of course) were like the new big thing in Amelia. Crazy expensive, though. "I've only ever seen them at the store before. You know, like the sample ones." She wondered if Remy would let her look at them?
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:51 pm

Remy wasn't sure she'd ever "get used to it", but she didn't say that out loud. Then Lincoln found her pictures and Remy's heart constricted.

It had been almost a week since she and Lysander had moved out of the estate, and Remy had purposefully not looked at any of the photographs she'd taken. Mostly because the majority of them were taken with or around Hadley (who had graciously allowed her to photograph him). She was stuck in the halfway rut between love and hate, and didn't know how to deal with it. So she hadn't. The pictures had remained in the box, along with the camera, which she'd realized (too late) had almost emptied out her bank account. Hence the apartment in shitsville where she was currently moving all her belongings. They weren't even going to fit.

Life was grand.

"Oh, yeah, I do," she said, forcing her voice to come out uninterested. "They're just stupid. I was messing around," she told her, hoping she'd just leave them alone without her needing to ask. "I'd completely forgot about them."
    Lincoln Weiss

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:01 pm

"Can I look at them?" Linc asked, itching to go through these pictures. She thought about what she would do if she had a camera. Probably take a bunch of pictures of her cat, her art and maybe some cool scenery, like Tamar Falls or something. She looked back up at Remy's face, and saw a hint of discomfort there. Uh oh. Maybe she had, like, something embarrassing in some of those pictures and didn't want anyone to see them. "I mean, uh, if not it's cool." She waved her hand dismissively.
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:05 pm

Remy shrugged, turning her back to Lincoln and reaching for another box. "You can go through them if you want," she said, deciding she just wouldn't partake in the browsing. "But like I said, they're nothing special." Just remnants of everything she wanted out of life but no longer had. Ya know, nothing big.

Hats. Remy had so many hats. Where was she even going to put them all? She sighed and shoved that box in the corner as well.
    Lincoln Weiss

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:25 pm

Yes! "Haha, no naked ones or anything?" Linc asked jokingly, reaching for the pictures. She picked them up carefully and started flipping through them. A lot of them were of Remy herself, posing like a fashion model. Hell, with her looks and clothes, she could totally be a fashion model. There were also pictures of a sort of familiar looking guy who Linc could only assume was Remy's boyfriend due to the number of pictures that had them kissing. Gag. Then there were a few of some scenery, and a few of what looked like the inside of a very nice house. "Where'd you take these?" she asked curiously, holding them up.
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Remy only briefly looked over her shoulder before yanking up another box and setting it on the coffee table. She pulled out a coffee mug with her name on it that Paul had given her as a gift for last year's Ahtnamas. Aw, Paul. She wondered how life was for him, now that she was gone.

"Just around," she told Lincoln vaguely as she set the mug to the side to pull out various other glassware that she'd wrapped in paper. She realized with a small flurry of defeat that she didn't have any pots or pans. They'd have to go out to eat tonight...just like they had for the past six days. She was going to need to find a job, and fast. Her tummy sank a little.

"Do you happen to know of any places that are hiring?" she asked, still going through her stuff. She didn't want to see any of the pictures.
    Lincoln Weiss

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:43 pm

Just around? Remy clearly didn't wanna talk about it, so Linc didn't press despite her curiosity. She looked at the pictures again. Some of them were really random, like one was just a picture of a painting on the wall. Weird attempt to be artsy, maybe? Whatever. She shuffled the pictures back into a neat stack and laid them back in the box.

"Actually my work is hiring," she told Remy. "The hotel just down the road. You work at the front desk and clean the rooms. It's...not that bad. Most of the time."
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:22 pm

The hotel down the road, Remy was assuming, was the same hotel that she and Lysander had stayed at for the past few days as she made arrangements with her new landlord. It hadn't been the best hotel she'd ever stayed at, but it also hadn't been the worst. But cleaning rooms? Even hearing the words made Remy's skin crawl. Who knew what type of clio had stayed there.

As if you haven't done worse, Vex said. He was irritated by the entire situation.

Remy's normal inclination was to ignore her daemon, but sadly he was right. And she didn't have many other options at this point. She didn't want to have to ask Lysander to start working right away because she knew he had to adjust again to a new environment and didn't want to stress him out. Eventually he would have to help out though... Sigh.

"I'll have to stop by tomorrow," Remy told her. "Thanks for the heads-up." This Lincoln girl actually wasn't so bad. Maybe living next door to her would actually be kind of nice.
    Lincoln Weiss

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:35 pm

"No problem," Linc replied, waving her hand again. "Thanks for letting me see your pictures. I liked 'em."

Remy seemed pretty okay so far, but Linc couldn't help but wonder what her story was. She had all these expensive clothes and shoes, and a camera, and had all these pictures of herself in a nice, fancy house. But here she was living in the cheapest apartment in town, looking to get a job cleaning hotel rooms. What the fuck?

"Geez, do you think you have enough shoes?" she asked jokingly, spotting yet another box of them.
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:47 pm

Remy gave a half smile at the picture comment. She was proud of the ones she could bear to look at. "Thank you."

Lincoln wrote:Geez, do you think you have enough shoes?

Remy actually laughed. It was hilarious and sad at the same time. "You'd think," she told her, shaking her head at the box Lincoln had been referring to. "And yet if I went to the market I would still be tempted." Not that she could afford a pair, currently.
    Lincoln Weiss

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:03 pm

"I think someone needs to hold an intervention for you," Linc said, picking up a random pair from the box. Remy could probably wear a different pair every day of the year. "How the hell did you even afford all these? Do you have a sugar daddy or something?" She was joking, obviously, but she really was curious about Remy's life.
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:21 pm

"Or something," Remy said, looking over and smiling absentmindedly at the pair of braided sandals that Lincoln had picked up. The last time she'd worn them had been on her boating date with Hadley. Why was it that every time she thought about him she felt a different emotion? He'd been a complete ass, he didn't deserve her smiles.

"Ugh." She flopped herself down on the threadbare couch that had come with the furnished apartment. The very first thing she'd done upon entering was to spray everything with bug spray. She'd had her fair share of nasty run-ins as she was growing up. "This is a mess." Her apartment, her emotions, her life.
    Lincoln Weiss

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:36 pm

"What's a mess?" Linc asked, as Remy obviously wasn't talking about the state of the apartment. It was perfectly clean, other than the boxes sitting around, considering not much had been unpacked yet. She walked over and sat on the arm of the couch since Remy was laying across the rest of it.
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:22 am

"Oh, you know," Remy said casually, "life in general." She played it off as a joke but it was such a true statement it made her feel sick. "I'm here because I lost my job," she said, telling a half truth. She didn't want to talk about the full story for obvious reasons, but she could tell Lincoln wanted an explanation from her, so she though she'd offer something.

"And I need to sell my shoes but I just don't want to," she said, throwing an arm over her face. What a spoiled brat she'd become. She worked for her money, hard. But she felt like this apartment was the end of the world when in the not so very distant past she'd had barely enough change to rub together.

Vex knew more went into her end of the world feeling than just the apartment, but decided to stay quiet. Remy could figure out her inner struggles later on when they were alone.

"Truly, it's a tragedy," she told Lincoln, making her voice sound half serious.
    Lincoln Weiss

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:12 pm

Ohhh. Well, that made a bit more sense. Although Linc could make a wild guess and assume that Remy had made way more money at her old job than she would at the hotel, which made her wonder why Remy didn't aim higher. But despite Remy's half-joking tone, it was obvious to Linc that the topic upset her. Linc probably should have dropped it earlier, but she couldn't help but pry a bit.

"Well that sucks," she said sympathetically. "I've lost a few jobs myself. Honestly, the hotel is probably just a matter of time." Just like Remy's statements, that too was half-joke half-truth, as Linc had just never had the motivation nor the work ethic to be a good employee anywhere. She wished she could just sell her art for a living, like that could ever happen.

Maybe a change of topic was in order. "Hey, since you showed me your pictures, want me to show you something?" she asked.
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Remy sat up, pushing herself against the opposite armrest to where Lincoln was sitting. "Sure," she told her, not sure what Lincoln had in mind.
    Lincoln Weiss

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:41 pm

"Cool, c'mon," Linc said, motioning for Remy to follow her. She hopped off the arm of the couch and lead Remy out into and down the hallway into her own apartment. Cedar was a little embarrassed at the messy state of their apartment, but Linc didn't give a shit. She continued to lead Remy into the spare bedroom, which Linc had converted into her "art room."

In it were a bunch of finished and half-finished ceramic pieces, some glass pumpkins she had made, and her makeshift kiln that she had converted out of an old coal oven. Since Remy had let Linc see her photos, Linc figured she could show Remy her things, even if they weren't really all that special. "This is what I do in my free time," she said. "Don't tell the landlord about my kiln."
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:03 am

Remy looked around the small apartment that was pretty much identical to her own except that it was a little...differently cluttered. Remy's distaste for messes made her feel a little uncomfortable as she walked through (how old was that pizza box?), following Lincoln to the bedroom that matched Lysander's.

"Woah," Remy said, looking around. There were a ton of awesome little glass figurines and some ceramic things sitting on shelves, with a big ol' kiln sitting in the corner. "These are incredible," she said, looking more closely at the glass vases. The glass was beautiful, with little bursts of color running through them.

"You made all these?" she asked, turning back to Lincoln.
    Lincoln Weiss

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:13 am

Lincoln shrugged. "They're not that great," she said honestly. As much as she loved ceramics and glassmaking, she was still pretty amateurish. Occasionally she'd end up with something that was worth being proud of as an artist, but those pieces usually ended up being sold. "But yeah, I made all of 'em."
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:08 pm

"I think they're incredible," Remy said, picking up a vase and turnin it over in her hand. "How did you do it?" She'd heard of glass blowers before, but was always amazed when she saw pieces. When she was younger and spent a lot of time in the markets, she saw them a lot. She always coveted the beautiful glass, but obviously could never afford them.
    Lincoln Weiss

Post by Lincoln Weiss on Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:52 pm

"It's not hard at all," Linc replied. "If you're Earalas, anyways. Are you Earalas? I could teach you how sometime." Of course non-Earalas clio could learn how to glassblow too, they just required more resources. Being able to control the heat of the glass without a furnace or an annealer was one of the perks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content