i just love a trip to the coal mines :: alicia

Remy Monroe

Female Age : 27
    Daemon Name : Vex
    Eilemaiden : Earalas

i just love a trip to the coal mines :: alicia

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:24 am

Remy pulled her scarf up around her neck and nestled her chin in its warmth. It was a cold January afternoon and she and Alicia were headed to the coal mines to talk over the final details of the Dian Coal Deal.

The balloon ride over to the mines had been relatively quiet for Remy. She'd been finding herself spacing out more and more over the last few weeks. Her doctor called it "pregnancy brain" and said it wasn't uncommon, but for Remy it was. She liked to be alert and aware of her surroundings and lately she just couldn't focus. This may have been the reason Hadley had insisted Alicia go with Remy to the mines.

She just couldn't keep her mind on the task at hand. There were so many things to think about. No one knew about the pregnancy yet, except she, Hadley, and their doctor. She didn't know the first thing about being a mother. It was all just so overwhelming she didn't have time to pay attention to anything else!

"Ahem," Remy heard from the conductor. She turned to face him. "Ms Monroe, we've arrived," he said, looking at her kind of funny.

Remy blinked. Sure enough, the balloon had landed at the station, and Alicia was standing off to the side waiting for Remy to follow.

"Thanks, Harold," she said, paying his fare and then stepping off the balloon.

"Anytime, ladies," Harold told them, shutting the door and then taking off for his next destination.

Remy turned to Alicia. "I guess it's time to get to business," she said, not thrilled about the fact that Alicia was even there.
    Alicia Kinamore

Female Age : 25
    Daemon Name : Nimbus
    Eilemaiden : Nadar

Re: i just love a trip to the coal mines :: alicia

Post by Alicia Kinamore on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:47 am

Alicia was doing her best to hide her nervousness, which was no easy task. This was her first big assignment as (she could still hardly believe it) an advisor of Earalas. Up until now she had mostly been doing little things, like handle and translate documents, write and send letters, that sort of thing. Now she was actually being sent out to talk to an important clio about an extremely important deal. This was so outside of the realm of anything she'd ever done before.

She looked at Remy and offered a small smile, hoping to maybe get a reassuring one in return, but Remy didn't even seem to notice her. Her co-advisor had been really spaced out lately, it seemed. In fact, Remy apparently didn't even notice that they'd landed for several moments. Alicia bit her lip and wondered if she should be worried.

Remy wrote:"I guess it's time to get to business,"

Alicia smiled again. "I guess so!" she agreed. She followed Remy, who seemed to know exactly where she was going, and looked around in wonder. They were high up in the mountains, and there were several man-made platforms and bridges connecting different mine entrances. There were workers moving carts along tracks in and out of the huge, gaping holes in the mountain.

Alicia was so caught up in watching the activity that she tripped over a pile of rubble and stumbled into Remy's back. "Oops! I'm sorry, Remy!" she exclaimed. Although Remy was super nice, sometimes Alicia worried that the more experienced advisor got a little impatient with her. Moments like these didn't exactly help.

"There's so much going on here. I've never been anywhere like this before."
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:13 am

Remy was walking down the path to the mine headquarters, trying to pretend that Alicia wasn't with her when all of a sudden something slammed into her back. Remy caught her footing before she tripped over the rocks in front of her and spun around. "What the hell?"

dimwit wrote:"Oops! I'm sorry, Remy!"

Of course it had been Alicia who had tripped right into her as if there weren't a zillion other places to trip. Remy was hardly paying attention to where she was walking and she had managed to stay upright.

"All that really matters is what's right in front of you when you're walking around here," she said stiffly to Alicia's comment about being distracted. "One wrong move and no one will ever see you again." She peered down the side of the cliff. It led hundreds of feet down to who knows where. Remy thought maybe that wasn't such a bad way for Alicia to go.

"Oh, Remy!" Remy heard a voice sing song from along the path. A woman stepped out of the trailer that served as headquarters for the mine. Fucking Clara. "It's so nice to see you! And who is this? I saw her trip over there. I do hope she can see!" She laughed at her own joke.

Remy hated Clara. She was always so saccharine whenever Hadley wasn't here. Whenever he was she barely talked because she was so uncomfortable. Remy couldn't decide which version of Clara she hated more.
    Alicia Kinamore

Post by Alicia Kinamore on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:26 am

Remy wrote:"All that really matters is what's right in front of you when you're walking around here. One wrong move and no one will ever see you again."

"Oh," Alicia said softly, shrinking back a little bit. She saw Remy peer over the edge of the cliff and realized that her harsh tone wasn't out of malice. She was absolutely right, Alicia shouldn't be so careless in such a dangerous place. "You're right of course. I'll be more careful."

Both women looked up when a sing-songy voice called out for Remy. A woman holding a clipboard was standing right outside a trailer waving them over. Her name badge said "Clara", which meant she was the foreman of the mine.

Clara wrote:"It's so nice to see you! And who is this? I saw her trip over there. I do hope she can see!"

Alicia, who had been smiling warmly at Clara a second ago, frowned. Was that a jab about Hadley? If so, that was an incredibly rude thing to say... "Ah...I'm Alicia Kinamore, the overloridian's new advisor," she introduced, keeping things polite. She did have to make a good first impression, after all, this was important business. She glanced over at Remy, who was glaring. "It's nice to meet you."
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:39 am

"Oh, yes, I heard he had hired someone new. Must be hard to be an overloridian with such an impairment! How nice of you to help him out!" Clara held out a hand to Alicia. "I'm Clara, foreman of all things coal." She shook Alicia's hand vigorously.

"And dear, sweet Remy," Clara said with a grin, turning to Remy. She held out a hand to her. Remy ignored it and Clara brought her other hand up and clapped, making it seem like she had intended to do that in the first place.

"Follow me, ladies, follow me," Clara said, turning back around and leading the co-advisers into her office.

"My clipboard here tells me you've come about the new trade agreement with Dian, is that correct?" Clara asked, taking a seat on her desk and swinging her legs. "Lotsa extra coal production, lotsa extra Earalas jobs. I like what you ladies are doing, I like it a lot!"

Remy could hardly stomach her. "Hadley actually sealed the deal. We're just here doing his dirty work," she said. Honestly, it was like Clara thought Hadley had lost his mind when he lost his eyesight. And it didn't matter how many times she was proved wrong, Clara still thought there was no way Hadley could still be ruling the eilemaiden.
    Alicia Kinamore

Post by Alicia Kinamore on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:52 am

Alicia couldn't seem to muster back that smile. She guessed she shouldn't have been surprised at Clara's attitude. After all, she had heard many similar comments directed at her mother growing up ("You're raising a child? By yourself? How do you manage that??") but somehow she thought that the freaking overloridian would be exempt from that kind of disrespect. Her arm was limp as Clara shook it.

Clara paused for a moment and gave Remy a polite look that seemed to say she didn't believe her one bit. "Of course he did," she said condescendingly. "It's a shame he can't be here, though maybe it's for the best, right? This way we can get down to business faster."

Alicia's mouth dropped open. She looked at Remy, whose stony face made it clear that this wasn't an uncommon line of thought from the coal foreman. "Let's just...get everything finalized so we can be on our way," she said hurriedly, wanting to get this done and over with before she started yelling in Clara's rude face.
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:17 am

Remy was usually extremely professional when it came to her job, but in Clara's case she had made quite a few exceptions. While Alicia was trying to avoid yelling in Clara's face, Remy was just waiting for the tipping point when she would start screaming, herself. It always seemed to happen when she was with Clara. And, maddeningly, every single time Remy found herself back at the mine, Clara would act as if the yelling had never happened. She greeted Remy with the same sing-song voice every time she saw her, as if they'd been the best of friends for years.

Clara handed some paperwork over to Remy to look over and started talking to Alicia. "Have you ever been in the coal mine before? It's just the most wonderful thing, you and Remy should come on a tour before you leave. Remy loves the mines, don't you Remy?"

Remy completely ignored her as she read every single line of fine print on the document Clara had handed her. She checked things off with a pen as she went over the pages, making sure everything lined up perfectly with what Hadley had described to her earlier. Hadley had asked her to show everything to Alicia since this was her first big assignment, so she wanted to mark things down to go over with her once she'd finished proofreading.

Clara only waited a moment for Remy to respond and then switched her attentions back to Alicia. "So how is it working with the overloridian? He doesn't come by the office very much anymore due to, well, obvious reasons. How is he doing?"
    Alicia Kinamore

Post by Alicia Kinamore on Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:08 pm

Alicia peered over Remy's shoulder as she reviewed the document, making a mental note of the points Remy was checking off. She wanted to pay close attention, but Clara began talking to her. She'd just have to read the documents once Remy was done, she guessed.

"He's doing well," she replied, taking great effort to ignore Clara's "obvious reasons" comments. She reminded Alicia strongly of a teacher she'd had once at Redfern, who always acted all surprised and condescending when Alicia's mom would come to parent-teacher conferences. "The only reason he couldn't be here is because of another really important meeting he couldn't miss."

"Oh?" Clara replied. "If you're both here, who's helping him out with that?"

Alicia stared at her. "No one."

She was mercifully saved from conversing further with Clara when Remy pulled her over to go over the documents. They discussed each point in depth, and once they were done Alicia couldn't help but blurt out in a whisper, "Is Clara always so rude???"
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Remy looked over Alicia's shoulder at Clara, who was busy straightening some papers in her desk. Clara wasn't doing anything wrong, but Remy couldn't help but be irritated by the way she was stacking the papers so perfectly.

"Always," Remy answered, looking back at the document. She flipped the page and showed Alicia they'd reached the end.

"So those are all the things we needed to make sure we're present, and they are," she concluded, her voice picking up its normal volume. She stood up. "Clara, I think we're ready to sign." She wanted to get this over with just as badly as Alicia did.
    Alicia Kinamore

Post by Alicia Kinamore on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Alicia scrunched up her nose and made a face when Remy answered that Clara was indeed always this rude. Unfortunately coal mining was one of Earalas' biggest industries, so Alicia knew she'd most likely have to deal with this lady again.

Her and Remy signed off and initialed the necessary documents in the necessary places. "Are you sure you don't want to stay for a tour?" Clara asked sweetly. Sickly sweet, Alicia thought.

"Only if someone else is giving it," Alicia mumbled under her breath so Clara couldn't hear. Louder she said, "Uh, no. Thank you." They gathered up the copies for their records and turned to go.

As soon as they were out of earshot, Alicia blurted out to Remy, "That was unbelievable! Who does that lady think she is?"
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:34 pm

"Clara, "foreman of all things coal"," Remy mocked, holding up her fingers as air quotes. "She's such an ass. It's too bad she didn't treat Hadley like this before he stopped being such an ass, himself, or she would have been without a job in a heartbeat."

The co-overloridians walked over to the balloon station and waited for the next one to come in.
    Alicia Kinamore

Post by Alicia Kinamore on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:48 pm

"What do you mean?" Alicia asked curiously. The way some of the estate staff talked, one would think Hadley had never "stopped being such an ass, himself." However, he'd always been perfectly nice to Alicia, if a little innocently insensitive at times. She also knew that some of the staff pulled mean tricks on him on occasion, and had always figured that's why he wasn't as nice to them.

"I wouldn't blame him if he fired her," she mumbled. Normally Alicia would never wish ill on another clio, but she had watched her mother deal with enough Claras in her life to feel much sympathy for them anymore.
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:03 am

Sometimes Remy forgot that Alicia hadn't been around for the days of true "jerk Hadley". She wondered if Alicia would have stuck around if she'd been hired back then.

"He was different before he lost his eyesight," Remy said, not sure why she was explaining anything to Alicia at all. "He was... uncaring."

Vex let out a laugh.

"Okay, 'uncaring' is probably putting it nicely." Uncaring was definitely putting it nicely. "Okay, if I was using the most blatant term I'd probably have to go with 'borderline sociopathic'." That sounded right. And scary. Cold and unfamiliar. It made Remy wonder what would be the best word to describe someone who could fall in love with someone they best described as "borderline sociopathic".

And now you're having a kid with him. I think the term that best fits here is 'insanity', Vex said.

"Anyway, he went blind, which ironically caused him to see the light, and now he's, uh, a bit nicer." For the life of her, Remy couldn't figure out why she'd just told all this to Little Miss Perfect Alicia.

Alicia Kinamore

Post by Alicia Kinamore on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:21 am

"Oh. Wow. I mean, uh..." Alicia didn't really know how to respond to that right away. Borderline sociopathic? She had a hard time believing that someone who'd been generous enough to hire her could have ever been as cold and uncaring as Remy claimed. But she also knew Remy wouldn't lie to her, so there had to be some truth in what she was saying. Maybe she was just exaggerating? "But he seems so nice...most of the time."

Duh, she said he changed, dumbutt, Nimbus pointed out. Or he could be faking his niceness. Alicia had never been good at telling the difference between sincere kindness and false kindness. She liked to believe everyone was kind until she was proven wrong.

"Were you guys dating when he was like that?" she blurted out, out of curiosity. She wondered why, if what Remy said was true, she would still want to be with him.
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:07 am

Alicia wrote:"But he seems so nice...most of the time."

At this, Remy laughed. "He can be very charismatic when he needs to be," she said. "But the other staff hate him for a reason, just so you're aware." It was a wonder Alicia had gotten this far without getting on the bad side of Hadley. Why was Hadley so nice to Alicia?

To bother you, Vex said serenely. Vex knew because if he was a human he would be doing the same thing.

Alicia wrote:Were you guys dating when he was like that?

"Oh, definitely not," Remy answered, remembering. "We did get along, though I'm not sure how, but I wasn't interested until after." That wasn't quite true, but Alicia didn't need the details. Besides, if it hadn't been for Hadley's accident she probably never would have had to entertain the idea of losing him. That had been the tipping point, really.

Finally the balloon arrived. Thank the gods. The two hopped aboard and it took off. But it wasn't in the air very long before Remy started feeling woozy. She barely made it to the edge in time to get sick over the open air.

This. Fucking. Kid.
    Alicia Kinamore

Post by Alicia Kinamore on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:21 am

Fake nice! Called it! Nimbus exclaimed. Alicia frowned a little bit and looked down over the edge of the balloon. She didn't want to think that maybe someone was only being nice to her because they needed her skills or something (Uh, that's like the whole point of a boss. -Nimbus). She just wanted everyone to be genuinely nice.

Then all of the sudden Remy was retching over the edge of the balloon. "Oh no! Are you okay?" She put her hand on Remy's back. "Are you airsick? I always heard if you were airsick you should look straight ahead of you..." She was rambling, which she tended to do when she wanted to help but wasn't sure how.
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:29 am

Oh, if she were only airsick life would be so much better.

Remy didn't answer right away, trying to let the upset in her stomach die down a little. She gripped the edge of the balloon's basket, her knuckles turning white. When she was sure she wasn't going to puke again, she leaned up and wiped her face.

"Yeah, I hate these stupid balloons," she said. In actuality she loved the balloons. It was Hadley who hated them. But she'd rather Alicia think she had a weak stomach than know the truth.

You know you can't hide this forever, right? Vex asked. Sooner or later clio are going to start noticing.
    Alicia Kinamore

Post by Alicia Kinamore on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:35 am

Alicia offered Remy a small smile and rubbed her back comfortingly. "I also heard mint tea can help your stomach," she said. "Oh, I'll make you some when we get back! I mean, I guess you'll probably be feeling better by then anyways, but I could still make you some." If there were a few things Alicia hated, it was seeing anyone upset, hurt or sick.
    Remy Monroe

Post by Remy Monroe on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Remy bristled when Alicia started rubbing her back. "I'm fine," she said stiffly. "And I don't like tea." She walked to the other side of the basket and looked off at the ground far below. What am I doing with my life?

Alicia Kinamore

Post by Alicia Kinamore on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:10 pm

Alicia pulled her hand back and let it drop to her side. "Oh, okay," she said, disappointed. Remy's just sick, that's all. she told herself. Of course that would put her in a bad mood. Maybe once Remy was feeling better the two of them could find something fun to do together. For now, though, she decided to just let her be.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 pm