The Amelia Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Nils Selway
Henrik Selway
6 posters

standing on the shore (nils, paisely)

Paisley Sommers
    Paisley Sommers
    Overloridian

Female Age : 32
    Daemon Name : Chevron
    Eilemaiden : Nadar

standing on the shore (nils, paisely) - Page 4 Empty Re: standing on the shore (nils, paisely)

Post by Paisley Sommers Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:30 pm

"You think they left Nadar?" Paisley asked, shocked. They'd obviously taken Henri (whoever they were), but to leave the island? If they'd left, they could be anywhere.

"I can make a boat no problem, but how is that going to help us? They could have gone anywhere. The ocean is a big place." And Amelia's mainland was just as big. Suddenly Paisley felt very small. If they had been back in the east, she could have easily found a quicker way across the ocean. A tiny little boat wasn't going to get them anywhere fast--especially since neither of them were Ughdarras. They would need to paddle the entire way.
    Nils Selway
    Nils Selway

Male Age : 30
    Daemon Name : Tanith
    Eilemaiden : Adhbhar

standing on the shore (nils, paisely) - Page 4 Empty Re: standing on the shore (nils, paisely)

Post by Nils Selway Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:39 pm

"I think I have an idea where they went," Nils said slowly, while his thoughts raced at a million miles an hour. "They have this hideout on the coast that I've been to. I think they'd go somewhere they'd know I'll look. So that they can get me too."

Using clios' loved ones as bait was a favorite tactic of the group that had taken them.

He looked at Paisley, who was looking very dubious right now. "I have to try," he told her pleadingly. "You don't have to come with me. I just need a way to get there."
    Paisley Sommers
    Paisley Sommers
    Overloridian

Post by Paisley Sommers Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:49 pm

"Nils," Paisley said, her voice serious. "I'm not leaving you. We're going to find him, okay?" For some reason, ever since she'd rescued them off the very coast they were now standing on, she'd felt very protective of them. She would never leave the brothers in this situation.

Immediately Paisley began giving orders. She let her overloridian training take hold as she instructed Nils how to help her construct a boat that would be able to support them both across the ocean. She gave him some plants and asked him to mix them with mud, which would create some sort of glue-sap to cover the hull of the boat she was crafting.

After a time of hard work, the boat was ready. It wasn't pretty, but Paisley was positive it would hold out until the reached the opposite shore.

"You're sure you know where we're going?" she asked Nils, taking off her backpack and setting it inside. She was so thankful she had spent the afternoon collecting food and medicine. They were going to need it.
    Nils Selway
    Nils Selway

Post by Nils Selway Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Nils had no idea what he would have done without Paisley. She reminded him of Henri, the way she could keep calm in a bad situation and use whatever she had available to solve a problem. She had his determination, too. It was comforting in a way. It wasn't long before they had a functional boat in front of them, ready to cross the ocean.

"Positive," he said, swallowing the lump in his throat. "I could never forget that place. Trust me, I've tried."

What were Henri and Petra going through right now? he wondered as they pushed the makeshift boat into the water and set off. He didn't want to think about it, but his thoughts took off anyways, going over every single awful scenario in his head over and over and over...
    Paisley Sommers
    Paisley Sommers
    Overloridian

Post by Paisley Sommers Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:45 am

Nils and Paisley had been in the boat for a little while when Paisley finally decided it was necessary that she get more information.

She twisted the sail a little, making sure that they were going the course that Nils had described, before sitting back down into her seat and clearing her throat.

"Nils?" she asked softly. She knew how upset he was, and didn't want to startle or upset him more. What was the best way to go about this?

"I can tell this isn't something you want to talk about, and I'm sorry I have to ask..." She bit her lip and looked out across the ocean. She prayed to the Gods silently that wherever they were going, they weren't walking into a trap.

"I need to know what I'm walking into, here," she told him, finally. "I meant what I said earlier, about not leaving Henri behind, but I have to be ready. For whatever is waiting for us."
    Nils Selway
    Nils Selway

Post by Nils Selway Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:01 am

Nils was sitting with his knees pulled up to his chest, trying in vain to not think about the horrible things Henri and Petra were most likely going through right now. Were they hurt? Afraid? Were they even still alive? He couldn't even stand the thought of the alternative.

He tensed up even more when Paisley asked him again about what was going on. He had to tell her, he knew he did. For whatever reason she was helping him, putting herself at risk for him and Henri. She did deserve to know what she was walking into. Even if it meant she would change her mind.

"It's a criminal organization," he mumbled, staring out into the ocean. "They do things for money." Made us do them. "They want us back...or dead...I don't really know."
    Paisley Sommers
    Paisley Sommers
    Overloridian

Post by Paisley Sommers Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:51 am

Nils and Henri had been part of a criminal organization? Paisley's heart did a little flip flop.

"They're the ones that attacked you, then?" she asked softly. They'd kidnapped them long ago, and now were trying to get them back.

"When did you escape?" Had it been when she found them on the beach? Or had that been another attempt to recapture them?

Nils Selway
    Nils Selway

Post by Nils Selway Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:00 am

"Uhm," Nils said tiredly, running a hand through his hair. He really hated talking about this. "Three...no, four years ago?" Seven years free, ten years captive, four years on the run. Only a third of his life had been happy and normal, and it was the third that he couldn't remember most of. "They catch up to us every once in a while...like now."
    Paisley Sommers
    Paisley Sommers
    Overloridian

Post by Paisley Sommers Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:12 am

"...and that's how you knew Petra?" Paisley asked. It was obvious that Nils wanted her to stop digging, but this whole situation was making Paisley nervous. And she wasn't going to go in blind.

Chevron was simply distrustful. He did not like this one bit, and if it had been up to him, they'd still be back on Nadar. You realize no one knows you're out here, right? he asked his clio. If anything happens to you, what will Nadar do? You have bigger responsibilities than two random men you met on the beach.

Her eilemaiden had been through enough in the past few decades, and they were only just now beginning to heal. If something happened to her, Nadar could be put in jeopardy again. And the first few years after a new overloridian settled were always rough for an eilemaiden. How could she do that to Nadar?

That's why I'm finding out as much as possible before we arrive, Paisley argued. Chevron was right--and Paisley was worried about Nadar too, but she couldn't just leave Nils to find his brother on his own. And even if she could, she wouldn't. She wasn't like that.

"Do we know what eilemaiden we're going to be working with when we get there?" Any information was good information. Planning was important.
    Nils Selway
    Nils Selway

Post by Nils Selway Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:32 am

"Yeah, that's where we know her from. She's like us. And there are a lot of clio working for them," Nils replied, feeling oddly exhausted yet restless and alert at the same time. He'd been running on pure adrenaline since they'd arrived at the beach, but now there was nothing to do but wait till they reached the shore. "All different eilemaidens."

This entire conversation was bringing back memories that Nils tried hard to repress every day. He couldn't stop himself from thinking back to the days when they had been together with Petra, constant threats hanging over their heads, knowing they'd be punished for the slightest mistake. Beaten, denied food, and worse.

"You have no idea, Paisley," he said shakily, feeling panicky again. He could be headed back to that kind of life right now. He put his head in his hands. "They're capable of anything."

He shouldn't be dragging her into this. She didn't deserve it, and it had nothing to do with her. But he was so afraid that without her he wouldn't be able to do anything to help Henri or Petra.
    Paisley Sommers
    Paisley Sommers
    Overloridian

Post by Paisley Sommers Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:29 pm

Paisley sat in silence for awhile, mulling this new information over.

This is a trap, Chevron insisted. You are walking into a trap.

That just means I need to stay even more, Paisley commented, still deep in thought. Nils wouldn't stand a chance. Not right now, at least. Paisley had never seen him at full strength, but it was obvious that Henri had been the stronger of the two.

...and now Henri was gone. Paisley was wrong to think so little of Nils, she realized. Henri may be the natural leader, the one that took control usually. But the fact that he was doing this--that he was on his way to a place where unspeakable horrors had been done to him to save someone? Nils may not be physically strong, but he was brave. And that was more important.

"You're incredible, you know that?" Paisley asked. "Your brother is lucky to have someone like you."
    Nils Selway
    Nils Selway

Post by Nils Selway Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:51 pm

"What?" Nils asked, looking up, genuinely surprised. Why was Paisley complimenting him? All he had been doing was depending on her this whole time. In fact, without her he'd still be on Nadar. He wasn't incredible at all. He looked back down. "I think you've got it backwards."

He was the lucky one. Well, lucky to have Henri, not lucky in any other aspect of life. Without his brother he would probably still be with the criminal organization, having given in to their whims a long time ago. Henri was always the one keeping their spirits from being broken completely.
    Paisley Sommers
    Paisley Sommers
    Overloridian

Post by Paisley Sommers Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:03 pm

"I'm not saying that Henri wouldn't do the same if your rolls were reversed," Paisley said, her voice genuine. "But that doesn't change the fact that you're doing this. You don't have to, and yet you're going."

Paisley wasn't sure what had happened while they were kidnapped, and she wasn't sure what had happened since, but if the injuries the brothers had sustained when Paisley had found them were any indication, it wasn't good things. And Nils was ready to go back, without a second's hesitation.

"We are going to do everything we can," she told him. "And when we leave, Henri is going to be with us." If all they had wanted was to kill the brothers, she felt it would have been done long ago. They were trying to catch them, to use them for something else. And Paisley wasn't going to let that happen. She only wished she had been able to bring other clio with her.

"And, if you don't mind me asking, Nils," she added, thoughtfully, "just where are we headed?"

Nils Selway
    Nils Selway

Post by Nils Selway Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Nils still didn't agree with Paisley's summation of him, but he didn't argue. He also wasn't sure where she got her confidence about this situation from. How can you be sure? he wanted to ask. What if we fail? But he didn't ask those things, because he had learned a long time ago not to question other clio.

He could, however, answer her last question. "There's this old building in the forest by the coast," he said. "It's pretty secluded so this group can use it for...various things."

It was a place where no one was nearby to hear any screams.
    Paisley Sommers
    Paisley Sommers
    Overloridian

Post by Paisley Sommers Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:41 pm

The forest.

Both Paisley and Chevron let out an audible sigh of relief. The forest they could work with.

"And you said you've been there before," Paisley noted. "Do you think you could get us nearby without being seen?" Plans started forming in Paisley's head as she waited for a response.
    Nils Selway
    Nils Selway

Post by Nils Selway Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:51 pm

Nils considered this thoughtfully. He pictured the building and the landscape in his head. It was in a thick part of the forest, well-hidden. That was part of the appeal. If no one was guarding the outside it would be easy to get in unseen, but if there were people outside then they'd be fucked.

"I'm not sure," he said honestly. "I have no idea how many clio are with them." It could be just one, or it could be several.
    Paisley Sommers
    Paisley Sommers
    Overloridian

Post by Paisley Sommers Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Paisley nodded. They had no idea what they were up against.

"Is there anything else you think I should know?" she asked gently, watching the waves stretch on for miles. The ocean and sky had no idea they were on what might be a suicide mission. They were beautiful just like any other day--the sun shining and warm, the sky clear and blue.

But Paisley knew. And she wasn't turning around.
    Nils Selway
    Nils Selway

Post by Nils Selway Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:13 pm

Nils considered her question thoughtfully. He knew full well they were walking into a trap, but it was a trap just for him, not for Paisley. And it wasn't as though Paisley was just some random woman they could kill without repercussions to get her out of the way. She was the overloridian. Unlike Nils and Henri and Petra, she was worth a lot to a lot of clio. "If things go bad," he said slowly (and who was he kidding, he knew they would,) "and you tell them who you are, I don't think they'll hurt you."
    Paisley Sommers
    Paisley Sommers
    Overloridian

Post by Paisley Sommers Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Paisley thought about this for a moment. "But what would that mean for you?" she asked him.

And would her status really mean anything to these clio? If they were the ones that had kidnapped and tortured Henri and Nils, would they really care if she were overloridian or not? It wasn't like her death would be the end of the world. Someone out there would settle. It might not be the best for Nadar, but it would happen.
    Nils Selway
    Nils Selway

Post by Nils Selway Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:28 pm

"Nothing," Nils replied honestly. "They'll still probably do whatever they want with me." These people hurt and killed those who didn't matter to Amelia and wouldn't be missed. It was how they were able to get away with what they did. Nils knew that because he had been told dozens of times, usually in the middle of some kind of punishment, to remind him exactly what he was worth (nothing) and why resisting their whims was pointless.
    Paisley Sommers
    Paisley Sommers
    Overloridian

Post by Paisley Sommers Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:22 pm

"We are going to try our best to make sure that doesn't happen," Paisley said. She wouldn't give up. And if they didn't want to kill her, then they better not expect that they'd be killing Nils or Henri.

The two continued on their boating journey, mostly in silence. An air of what can only be described as doom surrounded them the entire way, a feeling of stress and uncertainty covering them. The sun hung low in the air as they approached the shore.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm